Happy New Year!
In no particular order, I’ve listed 17 fit tips to help bring in a healthy, prosperous new year! Happy reading and don’t be afraid to ask me any questions or leave a comment below.
- Cross train to see best results! If you’re a runner, add a couple days of weight training to your routine. If you’re a lifter, add a couple days of running to your routine. Let’s not forget about yoga and pilates! A good stretching regimen helps prevent injury, releases muscle tension, and alleviates pain. Yogis can also benefit from some resistance and cardiovascular training as well.
- Drink all natural fruit juice immediately before working out to give you energy, instead of caffeine.
- Unless you train for over an hour, sip water during your workout instead of Gatorade.
- Always start your workout with dynamic stretching to help prevent injury.
- End your workout with static stretching to increase (long-term) flexibility.
- Don’t leave home without your water bottle. Drink water even when you’re not exercising or eating a meal.
- If you despise the idea of meal prepping, at the very least, pack healthy snacks for long days to avoid the many convenient, unhealthy choices out there.
- Write down short-term and long-term goals, and adjust your plan at least once a month if it’s not working, or add new goals if it is!
- Fasted morning cardio helps you lean out quickly, but make sure you make note of the “morning”. If you miss your opportunity when you wake up, you must eat before working out later in the day. Save the fasting for when you can get your cardio done first thing in the morning.
- Try not to hide anything from your trainer. The more they know about prior injuries or what you’ve been eating, the better they can help you.
- Don’t use personal training as a substitute for physical therapy. Be sure to follow your doctor’s orders and train when he/she advises.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off track. Take a moment to reflect on what went wrong and how to change it. Ask for help if you are feeling overwhelmed!
- Focus on how far you’ve come, rather than how far you have to go.
- Start off small. Don’t waste your time by starting something so extreme that you won’t stick to it.
- Treat yourself to things other than food (e.g. a spa day, tickets to a game or a show) when you reach a goal.
- Understand that fitness is a lifestyle and not something you can achieve and hold onto without continuous work.
- Don’t listen to anyone’s negativity!
Have a fit 2017!
Have any tips of your own that you'd like to add?