32-year-old Misty Copeland becomes first Black principal dancer at one of three top ballet companies in the world!
- 1982: Born in Kansas City, Missouri.
- 1995: Takes first ballet class at the late age of 13 at Boys & Girls Club in San Pedro, California.
- 1997: Earned full scholarship to San Francisco’s Ballet Summer Intensive Program.
- 2000: Earned full scholarship to American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Intensive Program.
- 2001: Joined ABT’s Corps de Ballet.
- 2002: Earned spot as first African American female soloist of the company in two decades.
- 2015: Promoted to principal dancer at ABT.
“Misty Copeland’s destiny was not to be a ballerina. But will trumps fate.” I WILL WHAT I WANT
What has someone told you that you could not do, that you managed to accomplish anyway?