Being sick is the worst! You feel awful, your regular routine is thrown off, you’re in isolation so that you don’t get others sick, and you’re stuck waiting around until it’s all over! Then when you finally feel better, you are so de-conditioned that you don’t want to workout because it feels 10 times harder than before you were sick! Here’s what I do to help the dreadful transition, not be so dreadful…
5. I wait until I feel about 90% back to regular health to start working out again, to not allow too much time of inactivity to pass. I start off at 50% of my usual workout intensity, and increase the intensity gradually, everyday.
4. Before I leave my house, I gargle sea salt and water to help with sore throat and bad breath that sometimes comes along with a cold.
3. I take a dose of Vitamin C…
No, not the singer! Vitamin C from fruits like oranges and grapefruit to help support my immune system, which helps fight off colds.
2. Like Garfield, sleep is something that I don’t skimp on. Especially when I’m sick or recovering from a cold, I make sure to get EXTRA hours of sleep until I am back to normal.
1. Last, but not least, who said bubble baths were only for luxury? The warm water stimulates blood flow that soothes aches and pains, and the steamy bathroom helps with decongestion.
Leave the added dog and champagne to Mariah, or at least until you’re 100% healthy again. 😉
What do you do to get back into your exercise routine after getting sick?