There are dozens of ways to stretch each muscle in your body. If you’re overwhelmed by the options out there, or possibly interested in trying a new stretch, I’ve laid out the stretches that I personally use after a lower body workout.
Lower Body Stretches
(Ordered L-R starting at top).
1. Glutes & Abductor Stretch: Lay on back, bend knees and plant feet flat on floor. Cross right foot over left thigh. Place hands over hamstrings (underneath thigh) of left leg. Gently pull your leg in towards your body. Reverse on other side.
2. Hamstrings Stretch: Lay on back, bend knees and plant feet flat on floor. Extend one leg up, hold on to calf or ankle, and gently pull your leg in towards your body. Reverse on other side.
3. Quadriceps Stretch: Laying on side, hold on to ankle of top leg and gently pull foot towards your glutes, without lifting your knee up.
4. Adductor Stretch: Sit up and bring feet into hips, open knees, and gently use your forearms to press your thighs down.
5. Hip Flexors Stretch: From a lunge position, rest your rear knee on the floor (or padding for comfort). Push hips forward, keeping the rear knee in the same position.
6. Calf Stretch: Standing a couple feet from a wall, step one foot further back (about 2 more feet), lean torso forward towards wall. Press palms of hands against wall as you gently press the rear heel down. Reverse on other side.
(Hold each stretch for 15-20 seconds).