To increase flexibility, stretch! Stretching stimulates circulation, releases tension and lets your body move and feel better.
When do I stretch?
- When you wake up.
- Before you go to sleep.
- After sitting at your desk for a long period of time.
- Before a workout – make it dynamic¹
- After a workout.
Where do I stretch?
- At the gym. Grab a mat and find a spot where there isn’t a lot of traffic and do your thing!
- Bath tub or shower (seated to avoid slipping and falling).
- At your desk or even in the bathroom if you need privacy at work.
- In bed.
- In front of the TV.
- And just about anywhere else where you feel comfortable!
How do I stretch?
- Gently reach or extend to a point where you feel slight discomfort and hold.
- Continue to breathe normally. Never hold your breath!
- Try to relax your body as much as possible.
- After holding for 20 to 30 seconds, release.
- Repeat twice.
Keep this up daily and you will start to see your flexibility increase!
(1) Dynamic stretching involves controlled, repetitive motions like arm circles, calf raisers, and leg swings to name a few. Dynamic stretching is beneficial for sports injury prevention, while static stretching (the stretching described above) is beneficial for flexibility.